What a race. Snapped my chain on some rough pavement about 10 miles in. Lost the lead group so I just rode in. Still a great time. Those first 10 miles were amazing. Blasting through intersections, heart pounding, and spinning my cranks a million miles and hour trying to keep up with the larger geared riders.
So here are some notes for next year.
- Depending on the route, there are shortcuts available. Plan to take go straight up Northside Parkway, left on Garmon and so forth.
- Stick with the main group, don’t need to pull ahead during the first section through the city. This race in won on Powers Ferry and Peachtree St.
- Bigger gears! 50:17 is a good starting point but 48:16 is worth considering.
- Caffeine order is important. 50mg first, 100mg next.
- Plan to eat 1 gel right before the start, 1 gel on Howell Mill before Northside, one gel at the top of Northside and one gel at the top of Powers Ferry.
- 200mg of caffeine over 3 gels is probably the best.
- Breakfast should be small, one power bar only! I ate two (at 10:45) as well as had a protein (at 7:45) this year and that was too much.
- Creatine is helpful.
- Training for this race is group rides and racing at the track. 150/9 hours rides are very fun but do not make a winner.
- Plan to switch gearing? Run 50/18 before and after the race but put on 50/17 or larger for the race?
- Proper chain tension, either run shorter or run a derailleur. My chain broke because the tensioner flexed upwards and the chain popped off. Next revolution broke it.
- Dial my race fit in earlier. I only had four rides and about 6 hours on my bike before the race. I need to at least triple this.
- Get a better fitting frame, the performance frame was the economical choice but a better racing frame that fits properly could be a big improvement.